- 1 fresh chicken of about 3 lbs. (1.5 kg)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 spring onion sliced thinly
- 1 cucumber sliced thinly
- Rub chicken with salt and let stand for about an hour. Place the coarsely chopped spring onion, ginger, and garlic inside the bird, place in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes, skimming off froth that forms on top.
- Turn stove off, cover the stock pot, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from stock, rinse it with cool water, then rub the skin with sesame oil.
- Halve the chicken along the breastbone. Cut wings and drumsticks away from the breast. Chop each joint and each breast into 1-inch strips. Set aside
- Boil half of the leftover stock uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until it is reduced by half. Add oyster sauce and set aside.
- Rinse rice, then cook in remaining chicken broth until done.