This Chicken in Tomato and Honey or Ayam Madu is suitable to be eaten with briyani or tomato rice. There are a few ways to cook it, but this recipe has honey and tomatoes in it.
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 or smaller parts (coat with tumeric powder and salt)
Oil for frying
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
4 cardamon pods
2 tbsp chilli paste
4 fresh tomatoes, cut into four
1 small can tomato puree
1 tbsp meat curry powder
3 tbsp honey
1 strands curry leaves
1 cup frozen peas
1 inch ginger
1 big onion
1. In a hot pan, fry the chicken which has been coated with tumeric powder and salt.
2. When the chicken is cooked, transfer them to a dish.
3. In the same pan, scoop out excess oil and leave about 4 tbsp oil.
4. Add pounded items together with cinnamon stick,star anise,cloves and cardamon pods. Stir well until the ingredients turn golden brown.
5. Add curry powder and cook until the oil emerge on top. Then add chilli paste and fresh tomatoes.
6. When the tomatoes are tender, add tomato puree. Cook for another 3 minutes.
7. Then add curry leaves,peas and honey.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Cook for another 3-5 minutes untill all ingredients are coated well with the tomatoes.
10. Serve in a serving dish with rice.