Tom Kha Gai or Thai Chicken Coconut Soup is a hot sweet soup made with coconut milk, lemon grass and chicken. The name literally translates to boiled galangal chicken. The fried chillies add a smoky flavor as well as texture, color and heat, but not so much that it overwhelms the soup.
* 2-3 pcs galangal slices
* 2 pcs of fresh lemon grass stalks
* 1 clove of garlic
* A pinch of tamarind paste
* 3-4 fresh chillies (depending on how spicy you you like it)
* Fish sauce to taste
* 4 kaffir leaves
* 1/2 lb. chicken breast
* 1 (13.5oz) can of coconut milk
1. Boil galangal, lemon grass, garlic and tamarind in 1 cup of water for 2-3 minutes to bring out the flavor.
2. Cut 1/2 lb. chicken breast into approx. 2 inch pieces.
3. Add chicken and kaffir leaves to the boiling water and boil for another 8 minutes until cooked through.
4. Add 13.5oz can coconut milk. Bring to the boil again and boil for another 3 minutes.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of Thai fish sauce. And if desired garnish with 3-4 pcs of Thai fresh chillies (prik kee noo). Bring to the boil for one minute.
6. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.