Capsicum, also known as bell pepper, is a good companion for beef in stir-fries. Over cooking beef with generally make it tough and chewy unless you stew them for long hours, which is another thing altogether.
* 100 grammes of beef fillet (or any tender part, sliced thinly across grain)
* 1 small capsicum (julienned)
* 1 medium sized onion (cut into half and sliced)
* 1/4 piece of carrot (sliced)
* 50 ml or more warm water
* Corn starch (mix 2 teaspoons corn flour with about 100 ml water)
* 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Marinade (for beef)
* 2 1/2 teaspoons light soya sauce
* a couple of dashes of black pepper powder
* 2 teaspoons of corn flour
* 1/2 tablespoon of oyster sauce
* a pinch of salt (optional)
Marinade beef for 2 hours or more.
Heat oil in wok. Add onions and carrots. Stir fry till onions begin to turn translucent. Add capsicum and stir fry for 30 seconds.
Add beef and continue stir frying till beef is about 50% cooked (half red half dark in colour). Add seasoning to taste and sprinkle some water to keep moist. Pour in some corn starch to thicken gravy or omit it if it is dry to your liking.
Dish out and serve hot with plain white rice.