Bee Hoon is also known as Rice Vermicelli. The clear soup is refreshing especially on a hot day. We can also use anchovy stock for the soup as it makes the soup tastier.
* 1/2 packet of rice vermicelli (approximately 150 grammes) (pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes to soften)
* 15 fish balls
* 100 grammes of beef tenderloin (sliced thinly)
* 200 grammes of choy sum (washed and cut into 6 cm lengths)
* 8 shallots (sliced thinly)
* 100 grammes of dried anchovies
* a pinch of salted chinese vegetables (tung chai)
* 3 tablespoons of palm oil
* 5 soup bowls of water
Marinade (for beef tenderloin slices)
* 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce
* a couple of dashes of white pepper powder
* 1 teaspoon of corn flour
* 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
* Salt to taste
Marinade beef tenderloin slices for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, boil anchovies in water for at least 45 minutes. Remove anchovies when done.
Fry shallots in oil under medium heat till golden brown. Remove fried shallots from oil and set aside.
With remaining oil in wok, stir-fry the beef tenderloin slices for 30 seconds. Add anchovy stock above and bring to boil.
Add pre-soaked vermicelli into boiling stock followed by choy sum and fish balls and let the ingredients cook for at least 2 minutes in boiling condition. The fish balls will float to surface when cooked. Add seasoning to taste.
Separate into individual bowls and sprinkle fried shallots and chinese salted vegetables prior to serving.