5 dried red chillies, cored and seeded
1/2 small red pepper, chopped
5 shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsps vegetable oil
400g fish steaks - salmon,snapper etc.
- Put chili in a blender. Pour 4 tablespoons hot water over and leave until softened.
- Add red pepper, shallots and garlic. Mix to a coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add fish and fry until lightly browned on both sides and almost, but not quite, cooked through. Transfer to absorbent kitchen paper to drain.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add chili paste and cook over medium high heat for about 3 minutes until paste looks dry. Stir in 2 tablespoons water.
- Lower heat, return fish to pan and baste with chili paste. Cook gently for 1-2 minutes, basting with paste.
- Serve with rice and with lime juice squeezed over.